Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Hunters, loners. Elite loners.

As I said earlier, hunters are easily the best solo class. I feel that paladin's are second best and druids are third.

Let me provide some supporting points:
- You get a pet. This pet can be of any kind but in my case I use a bear. Bear's have thunderstomp and an AoE damage reduction ability. For tanking multiple mobs these abilities and other skills are a great help.

- You can crowd control. Scatter Shot, Freezing Trap, Wing Clip, Concussive Shot, Wyvern Sting, Intimidation, Ice Trap, Silencing Shot, Distracting shot. These are all the abilities that I can think of right now that are available to the hunter (albeit some are spec'd into and therefore you cannot have them all). Using these abilities to crowd control make you an excellent addition to any group where Crowd Control can be of use.

- You can kite. Kiting is the form of killing a mob slowly but suffering little to no damage by doing so. I touched on kiting beforehand. Using a pet that deals more damage than other pets is recommended for most kiting but certainly not necessary; I kite all the time and I solo with my bear exclusively.

- Feign Death. You screw something up? Feign Death! HELLO TO TINY REPAIR BILLS and annoyingly having to run back. Enough said.

- Focus! No more drinking! I loved mana but I love focus so, so much more. You can constantly chain pull mobs until you screw up or no more mobs are around. Mend pet and first aid are your friends here.

- Disengage? You stuck in a bad spot? Get the hell out of there with disengage! Your one stop shop for getting you out of that troublesome spot so fear not, for a hunter is what you got. As you can see hunters also learn to rhyme.

- Ranged DPS! Do you hate getting hit by bosses cleaves? I sure do! Stand and range and pew pew.


As a hunter, if you find yourself needing to group up with people to do _ANY_ quest then you are doing it wrong. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to make you feel bad about yourself. There was once a time where I was a terribad hunter too! But I learnt the error of my ways, lord. So please forgive me of the huntard's terribadness and show him the way to the light. Or the boss loot. Whichever you'd prefer. I'm easy with these things. What's that? Sure I'll have some beers with you later! But no man-love this time, OK?

Back on track. There is a few things you need to do when soloing to get the best out of it. These are:

- Know thy Enemy. Can you CC it in any way? If so you have a perfectly kiteable mob, provided it is not a caster. Use frost trap, concussive shot and my all time favorite scatter shot + wing clip + disengage combo (combined with immolation trap and snake trap for good measure). If the mob is a caster use range exploitation to take less damage. Mobs generally have a smaller cast range than your shooting range so take advantage of it!

- Kill the Elite like it was no feat. Mend Pet, Misdirection, Distracting Shot and Serpent Sting. These are your primary tools when killing ANY elite solo. With Glyph of Misdirect you can constantly misdirect your pet and nuke away. Keep Mend Pet up and Serpent Sting constant. Distracting shot if your pet is going to die. Note that there are some elites that are simply too strong for shitty mend pet (CoC is an example). You'll need to group up with people in these cases, of course.

- Zero in on your target. If you have specific mobs that you want to kill the chances are that, as a hunter, you won't need to wade through 100 mobs to get to it. Simply run through, put down frost traps and maybe even put your pet on defensive stance. Let your pet die, your pet's a tool like your abilities are. Me? I'm a tool, too. Once you reach your target Feign Death and wait for your pet to die. Make sure that you are in an area where you won't aggro mobs (if you need to aggro a couple then be ready for a fight, but it's still faster than clearing your way through).

- Tag mobs, fast! As a hunter, if done right you can deal with large amount's of mobs. If you are in a competitve area tag as many mobs as you feel comfortable dealing with. Misdirect and multishot are your best friends here. Misdirect your pet, spam multi shot. Then single target the mobs down.

No comments:

Post a Comment